Shallots are very popular due to the mass of nutrients and a pleasant sweetish taste. Growing it is not difficult. Previously, the variety grew mainly in the southern regions, today there are many varieties that can successfully develop in temperate climates. On the features of cultivation of culture will be described below in the article.
What is shallot?
A perennial plant of the Onion family. During growth it forms "family nests", due to which it received its second name - "family".
The bulbs of the variety are small - 20-50 g, thin scales, elongated shape. Feathers (ground part) thin, green, soft and juicy, begin to grow rough quite late.
Variety of shallot onion varieties
The composition of the bulbs and leaves a lot of ascorbic acid, vitamin B, carotenoids, essential oils, volatile, minerals: iron, phosphate, potassium and calcium.
What are the differences from onions?Read also these articles.
- Proper care of cucumbers in the greenhouse
- When and what vaccinations do newborn piglets
- Recipes adjika of plums
- Cranberry Jam
Culinary experts and experienced gardeners know that shallot onions are very different from the bulb, although they look very similar.
Shallot is ideal for cooking
- Shallot is ideal for cooking. This is a favorite variety of the French, as the vegetable not only makes the food tastier, but also smells very good.
- Shallots contain a greater amount of dry matter, so it can be dried for the winter.
- Rarely causes tears when cleaning.
- In the onion is much less useful substances. In this case, all the beneficial properties of shallots are stored in it for 9-12 months of storage.
- Culture can be grown not only in the garden, in a greenhouse or greenhouse, but even on a windowsill. Her bulb is small, and from one tsibuli a whole bunch of fragrant greens is obtained.
- Almost all varieties of this species are early.
- This is a completely dietary product, it can be used in various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and eyes.
How to plant a culture?
Grows on slightly acid, fertile soils. Plant a plant stands after a tomato, cucumber, potato, tomato. Landing is made in spring and autumn. With early spring planting in late April, shoots appear after 1.5-2 weeks, while planting closer to June - after 20 days. And if you plant shallots before winter, the seedlings appear very early and in mid-June you can harvest a rich harvest.
Before planting the onion shallot bulbs are sorted out, selected the best, whole. Then they are treated with a solution of fungicide. Land can not be fertilized if it is fertile.
Furrows 5-6 cm deep are made on the bed - no more. They are well flooded with water. Bulbs are planted at a distance of 10-20 cm, depending on the size of the bulbs. The larger the bulb - the more space it needs for development. After that, they need to sprinkle with earth for 2-3 cm.
How to care for a plant?We recommend reading our other articles.
- How to feed turkey poults
- Sheep farming as a business
- How to plant gooseberry spring seedlings
- Growing radish in a greenhouse
Care is the most important part of growing shallots.
- Watered onions are not often. It is necessary to ensure that the earth does not dry out, so that a thick crust from above does not form, otherwise the crop may just disappear. For the period from planting to full maturity, you need about three irrigations. Excessive watering leads to the formation of green feathers, while the bulbs in the ground practically do not develop.
- In the period of growth of the bulbs and feathers, rows are groomed. This is done carefully so as not to damage the underground part of the culture.
- Top dressing made several times. It is necessary to monitor the growth of onions, if it slows down - to apply fertilizer. Shallots like solutions of bird droppings (1 part to 15 parts of water), mineral fertilizers (40 g / 10 l of water), manure infusion (diluted with water 1:10).
When to harvest?
The crop is harvested when the green leaves of the shallot begin to lie on the ground. This is a signal that should not be ignored, overexposure in the ground can adversely affect the quality of the crop.
Harvesting shallot onions varieties Forty
The crop dries under a canopy, as the scorching sun quickly burns the green leaves of the crop. In order for the harvest of shallot onions not to lose their beneficial properties, as well as to lie for a long time, it is stored at a humidity of 60-70% and at a temperature of 0 to 10 degrees Celsius.
If individual bulbs are deposited for subsequent spring planting, then they should be stored at a temperature of +20 degrees.