Corn can be of different types: sweet, bursting, colored, siliceous, etc. For its successful cultivation, it is necessary to accurately determine the variety, because each of them has its own standards of care, collection and use. Corn varieties, their characteristics and disadvantages will be described below in the article.
There are several varieties of corn. Each has its own characteristics, so in this article it is advisable to highlight the main points of each of these subspecies.
- Dental corn has long, flat and large seeds. Used for harvesting seeds, animal feed, silage.
- Siliceous - the most common in different regions of the planet. Possesses a corneous cover of grains, a dullness is present only in the center. Used for the manufacture of cereals, flakes, flour, corn sticks.
- Starch is grown in North and South America. The stalk is of medium length, the cobs ripen late. The grain is always round, loose and smooth. Grown for the manufacture of alcohol, starch.
- Waxy - a type of dent corn, has a two-layer shell. The upper part is powdery, comprising amylopectin mass.
- Filmy corn is the least common since it is not used on the holding. It is characterized by a head of cabbage covered with flat spikelet scales.
There are also sugar, bursting and colored varieties, but they will be discussed below.
Which corn varieties are the best?Read also these articles.
- The content of bees in multicase hives
- How to water the orchid
- Black-and-white breed of cows
- The best varieties of radish for the greenhouse
The best varieties are the most common hybrids grown in different countries and available for purchase in the form of fresh cobs and seeds. Why hybrids? Because it is they who are distinguished by unpretentiousness in the care, high qualities of the plants and cobs.
The best grades of corn
- "Trophy F1" ripens in 75 days from the date of sowing. For successful cultivation it is important not to thicken the seeds during planting. Stem grows up to 2 meters. Cob average size - 23 cm, weighing up to 220 grams. Sweet grains have a rich yellow color. Can be used fresh and canned.
- "Landmark F1" - A hybrid ripening for 73-83 days. Sweet, can be stored for a long time. Heading up to 21 cm, the stem grows to 195 cm. Each has up to 2 ears. Transportable, machine cleaning possible. Resistant to diseases, high-yielding, consumed fresh, preserved.
- "Ekselent" - sugar hybrid of Russian selection. Heads of cabbage are long - up to 30 cm. The main condition for leaving is abundant watering. It requires timely spraying, as it is susceptible to diseases and pests.
- "Voronezh 80-A" - an early ripe grade of sweet corn. Very popular for landing on the territory of Russia. Exported, used for canning, fresh consumption. It has pleasant fruit notes, sugar content - 14%. Productivity is 45-50 c / ha.
What kind of corn is the sweetest?
Sugar varieties of corn, they are sweet, as a rule, are distinguished by an early ripening period, have large, dense heads, tender grains. It is believed that the younger the cob, the sweeter it will be. When dried, the grains of these varieties shrivel.
The Sweetest Corn Varieties
- "Dobrynya" has large heads, very sweet. The plant grows up to 170 cm in height, an early ripe variety - 70 days from the emergence of shoots. The grade is unpretentious to the place of landing, the soil, leaving. Resistant to rust, mosaic and wilt.
- "Gourmand" - high-yielding variety. It has increased immunity to the most common diseases, early ripe (75 days from germination). Used for fresh consumption, canning.
- "Early Gold 401" - a low, mid-season look. Heads grow to 19 cm, are used, usually, while still very young - milk, later they lose their delicious taste. Resistant to most fungal and bacterial diseases.
- "Spirit F1 " grown by seedling method and after 60 days after planting at a permanent place produces a crop. Heads grow to 20 cm.
- "Dnieper 925" - gives 75% of the finished product output! The yield of 60-70 kg / weave. In terms of care, it is important to water in time, otherwise there are no problems.
The sweet varieties of corn should also include: "Megaton F1" and "Trophy F1".
Popcorn Corn VarietiesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- When to plant tomatoes for seedlings in 2019
- Apricot variety Alesha
- Greenhouse film
- Grape variety Anniversary of Novocherkassk
For the manufacture of popcorn is not taken any kind of corn, but only certain varieties, so-called bursting. They are always low in starch, high in fat, protein and strong peel. Thanks to all this, during the heating of the grain literally burst.
Popcorn Corn Varieties
- "Oerlikon" contains up to 13% of sugars, which is very unusual for bursting species. After roasting it has a pleasant aroma, a very delicate, exquisite taste, which even gourmets like it!
- "Eat-Eat" - average maturity. The plant grows up to 170 cm, cabbages reach 21 cm. It is resistant to diseases. Grains are yellow.
- "Zeya" - The red variety, the most popular and common in Peru. It has become exported recently, which is why it is still considered rare in Europe and Asia. Grows up to 180 cm in height, the average size of the cob is 20 cm. It ripens early only in a dry climate.
- "Volcano" - one of the best types for popcorn. Grows up to 2 meters, cabbages are long - 22 cm or more. Grains of rice form, yellow. Resistant to climate change and disease.
Here it is worth counting: "Ping-pong", "Rice", "Carousel", "Vnuchkina joy", "Hotel".
What is the feature of color varieties?
Corn Glass Gem can not be eaten boiled, but it makes excellent popcorn
Colored corn varieties are becoming increasingly popular. Their main feature is unpretentiousness (purple varieties are very easy to grow) and high quality indicators (red corn grown in Peru is a record holder in the content of some nutrients).
Color corn can be black, purple, red, rainbow, etc. Among the most famous varieties you need to highlight: "Glass Gem", "Early Pink Shine", "Strawberry", "Oakhakanskaya red", "Pearl", "Mini Striped" , "Miracle Pine Red", "Bloody Butcher", "Black Waxy Corn", etc.