When choosing a bird for breeding in the garden, the breeder looks at productivity. Chickens Foxy Chick are among the ten best representatives of meat and egg production. In Europe, they are in great demand. Beautiful birds not only provide excellent meat, tasty eggs and good feathers, but also are a wonderful decoration of the yard.
How did the view appear?
"Foxy Chick" in translation from English means "fox chicken"
"Foxy Chick" in translation from English means "fox chicken". This sonorous name is associated with an unusual color of the bird, similar to the color of fox skin. But even though the name of the species is English, it was derived in Hungary. And it was from there that it spread throughout Europe and Asia, and also migrated to America. In time, the second name “Hungarian Giant” appeared in individuals, however it didn’t stick as quickly as the first, breeders still use the familiar “Foxy Chick”.
Foxy Chick breed descriptionRead also these articles.
- Autoclave for home canning
- How to cut gooseberries
- Description and characteristics of the incubator
- Growing melons in the open field
Externally, the traits of breed chickens have many differences with other species. The body is squat, strong with developed muscles. The back and breast are quite wide. Thanks to these traits, females seem to be large, feathered balls. Earrings have a scarlet color. The crest is also red, not very large, some females may be slightly tilted to the side, but more often they are located vertically.
Foxy chick cocks are stately, proud and very beautiful
The neck is of medium length, not very thick, head of moderate size, harmonious with small, yellow-orange eyes. Hoisted small, yellow, as and beak.
Plumage is more abundant, especially in females. Roosters are more elongated, so it seems that their feathers are slightly smaller. There is also a large amount of fluff. This feature makes Foxy Chick chickens resistant to low temperatures. Pen color can vary within all shades of orange and red. In this case, one or several tones of these colors can be on one individual.
Possess a lively disposition, active, curious. They have a lot of energy, so walking is needed much more than any other breed. Roosters are very proud, domineering, they maintain order in their possessions, they don’t throw themselves on other individuals or representatives of a different breed for no reason.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the breed?
Selfless chickens for the offspring, even from the nest will not get up to eat
To better understand the features of the Hungarian giant, you need to understand its strengths and weaknesses. Among the positive qualities stands out 7 points.
- The weight of Foxy Chick's cocks reaches 4.5 kg, females - 3.5 kg. These are not record figures, but sufficient for its direction. The period of development of the bird lasts 12-18 months. It is during this time that they reach their final body weight.
- Nestlings grow very quickly, at a small age they have an elongated weak body. Weigh a little, but by 1 month they can reach a mass of 900-1000 grams! And in 2 months - 2 kg, then development slows down.
- Dietary meat, contains little fat, has a pleasant, delicate flavor, it is recommended even for children.
- Foxy Chick Chickens start running at 4 months! Despite such an early period, already after 4 weeks they give eggs of normal size and good quality, with proper feeding, of course.
For the year, one chicken can carry up to 300 eggs!
- For the year, one chicken can carry up to 300 eggs! And this is despite the fact that the breed refers to the meat and egg direction, and not the egg. If we compare it with other breeds of its category, then for other species this indicator rarely goes beyond 220 pcs. for the season. The shell is pale pink, medium density, egg weight 60-70 grams.
- They rarely get sick, but with poor care, problems of growth and development can develop. They can also face various infectious diseases if the birds are not vaccinated.
- Females have an incubation instinct, so breeding is very simple, even without an incubator. Quotas not only hatch eggs of their own "production", but can also hatch eggs of other breeds. They look at young stock, teach the basics of life. An average of 9 eggs can be hatching, so their productivity is high.
What are the disadvantages of chickens foxy chick?
- Selfless chickens for the sake of the offspring will not even stand up from the nest to eat, therefore it is necessary to independently control their food. From time to time it may be necessary to bring them to the trough and drinker. It is very important to give the chickens only the highest quality and very nutritious food during the incubation period so that they do not start to get sick.
- Newborn chicks are not at all like their parents, so when buying a view can be confused with any other. This is a significant drawback - buying chicks or eggs is only in nurseries.
- High productivity is observed only for 1 year, so that in about 2 years they are allowed for slaughter.
Foxy Chick Chicken ConditionsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Strawberry Honey
- Variety of pears Skorospelka from Michurinsk
- Orchid Dendrobium
- The best blue grapes with a description and photo
Comfortable house for the dacha
Foxy chickens fit perfectly in different climates. Heat and cold are not a hindrance for them, they grow quickly, do not lose their productive qualities, but, of course, in order to reduce the risk of diseases, it is necessary to provide them with proper conditions of detention.
- The house is made either heated or insulated. If there is no heating in it, all the cracks are filled up for the winter, a thick layer of bedding is put, windows and walls are insulated.
- Mold, dampness, drafts and fungus in the hen house are not allowed! At the first sign of a problem is solved without delay for tomorrow. Breed differs in resistance to diseases, but during the night it will easily get cold in a draft, and the mold with the fungus can provoke aspergillosis or aflatoxosis. The easiest way to prevent them is to close up the gaps and carry out ventilation.
- Because of their squat physique, females and cockerels cannot independently climb high-placed roosts, so they make the latter on the floor or so that there is a free approach to them.
- Nests are made from the calculation of 3 females Foxy Chick in one place.
The place for walking is equipped with a large, so that the birds have enough space.
- The place for walking is equipped with a large, so that the birds have enough space. The floor is not covered with anything, the hens of the species like to swarm in the ground, looking for edible pasture. You can walk them not only in summer, but also in winter. Individuals withstand temperatures down to -10 degrees.
- Chickens rush almost the entire year, but make a forced pause during the molting period. As a rule, it will coincide with the shortening of daylight - the end of autumn or winter. To speed up the molting process, it is necessary to artificially reduce the daylight of the bird (but only gradually). To do this, it is necessary to provide in the hen house additional, artificial lighting.
How to feed the breed?
At 1.5 months the chickens are completely switching to feeding for adult birds.
Chickens Foxy Cheek eat concentrated or regular feed for meat and egg-type birds. Grain - the basis of feeding chickens. As a regular supplement are given mash (greens, sliced vegetables). In the summer, greens can be found in abundance on the street, in the winter instead of it they use grass meal, steamed hay, germinated cereals (oats, barley) and all sorts of vitamins. Treats at any time of year are the larvae of flies and beetles, earthworms, fish, fish oil, meat waste, dairy products.
Chicks can not be grown on the usual feed for meat and egg breeds. They need starter feed of broilers from the first days of life. And in 1.5 months, they completely switch to food for adult birds.
Drinkers for chickens Foxy Chick make separate, so that adult birds do not interfere with their drinking. Constructions do less, hang so that the birds can not get there with dirty feet or turn over the container. The first 2-3 weeks give the water warmed (40 degrees), it is desirable to dissolve ascorbic acid in it, especially in the winter.