Feeding chickens takes a lot of time, but this responsibility cannot be neglected. To simplify the work in the coop, various types of feeders were invented. Bunker feeders for chickens have a lot of positive qualities, they are really easy to use, easy to use. The article will describe the characteristics of these feeders, their advantages, possible drawbacks, as well as recommendations on how to make them with their own hands.
What is bunker trough?
The feeding hopper for birds is a two-piece design.
Bunker Feeder Scheme
- The bunker is the first element - the tank in which the grain is poured and where it is stored.
- The tray - the second element - the tank, in which the grain is poured out, and from which they eat chickens.
There is a hole in the top of the tank in which the food is poured, it is always closed with a lid of any type so that the birds do not try to get inside.
Such feeders are made from different materials, they can be of different forms, types, types. Sold everywhere, but you can build a trough and yourself, as will be discussed below.
Benefits of bunker feedersRead also these articles.
- Texas Quail
- Gooseberry variety Kolobok
- Perineum machine
- Pepper Bogatyr
Bunker feeders for chickens have a lot of positive qualities.
View of the bunker trough side
- Purity. Due to the fact that the grain is in a separate, closed container, it is always clean, not smeared.
- A breeder can fill up food for birds much less often every 1-3 days. Some feed the birds even for the week ahead, it is very convenient if, for example, you need to leave for a long time, and there is no one to watch the birds.
- A variety of shapes and sizes of structures allows you to choose the appropriate option in each case.
- Cleaning such feeders is not difficult if you make them removable, rather than stationary.
Are there any drawbacks?
The constant availability of food in a chicken coop can attract rodents.
The main problem of the bunker trough is unlimited feed intake. On the one hand, it makes life easier for the breeder, but on the other hand, it can lead to bird obesity. It is precisely this that breeders fear, and for this very reason they rarely acquire a bunker structure for adults. Indeed, the bird can overeat, especially if it is prone to obesity, so it is necessary to purchase such a feeder either for chickens or for breeds that are not prone to overeating.
It is also important to note that if it is damp in the chicken coop, the whole feed may rot and start rotting right in the bunker. Such food is very harmful, so you need to regularly wash such a vessel, check for smell inside and place it only in dry rooms.
Another problem associated with the regular availability of food in the chicken coop is mice and rats. They enjoy unlimited access to food no less than chickens, so it is necessary from time to time to poison the rodents.
How to choose a feeder in the store?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Gooseberry Variety
- Breed Italian Geese
- Planting spring garlic
- Platicodone Flower
A lot of bunker types of feeders for chickens are sold in stores. But how to choose a good design in each case?
- The material can be any (glass, plastic, wood, and so on). At the same time, it is necessary to understand that plastic is not the most reliable option and is most often purchased for chicks, and not adults. As for the glass, it is a dangerous and expensive material.
Assortment of bunker feeders
- Now about the manufacturers. The steeper the firm, the higher the price, everyone knows about it. But not many people know that the same "China" is either branded or low-quality. Branded products are always of high quality products regardless of the country of manufacture. Buying fakes is not profitable, they deteriorate too quickly.
- The size depends on the number of chickens, their age and type. The point of using a bunker feeder is to visit a chicken coop less often, but if you take a small feeder for an adult bird, you will still have to feed it frequently. Therefore, it is better to take more than less if there are any doubts.
- Safety design plays an important role. Birds can peck her, jump from above, push. It is important that there are no sharp corners and edges in the feeder, the material is selected as safe as possible, natural or at least harmless.
How to make a bunker trough with your own hands?
The popularity of bunker type feeders for chickens has led to a stir on them by the inventors. What only the designs collected by own hands not to see on the Internet! So, if there is no money to buy such a thing, it can be made independently of anything!
Bunker feeder for chickens with their own hands
- The first option - a wide pipe (sewer), curved on one side at an angle of 90 degrees. It simply needs to be attached to the wall (5-6 pipes are placed next to it) with the curved side down. From above the food is filled up - it is poured down, and because the pipe is curved, it does not pour down, but remains in the pipe and the birds just eat it.
- In the old plastic bucket, holes are made in the bottom area. Then a not very deep container is taken (for the tray) a bucket is put in it so that the holes made are at the bottom. Now you can use the design as intended. The grain is poured inside, the bucket is covered with a lid on top, the feed is poured into the tray as the chickens peck at it.
- Bunker feeders for chickens can also be made of wood or particleboard. The truth is to make such a feeder much harder, but the design will be more reliable. In essence, it is necessary to build a box where the grain will pour in, make a hole at the bottom and attach a feeding trough (tray) made by yourself from the same tree to it. After that you can try.
- The most simple and affordable design is made of plastic bottles: the bottom is cut off, placed in a bowl, several holes are made in the bottle so that the grain can get enough sleep - that's all. But such a feeding trough is unreliable, it can easily fall apart, therefore it is used only for feeding chickens.
If desired, you can use other materials, manufacturing methods, as long as the main function of the feeder is observed - feeding as you eat what lies in the tray.