Large white breed of pigs is known from the middle of the XIX century. Since its inception, it has spread to the countries of America, Europe and Asia in a few years. It has high productive qualities, is characterized by comparative ease of care and feeding.
How did the view appear?
The history of a large white breed of pigs begins in the middle of the XIX century. It was then that she was bred in England by crossing Romance, Asian, and local marching pigs. Initially, the breed was named Yorkshire, and only over time it was renamed the English Big White, but this name is abbreviated to the people in Big White.
Large white breed of pigs bred in England by crossing romance, Asian and local marching pigs
Throughout the existence of the species, it was constantly improved and, moreover, the direction of productivity changed. This animal got to Eastern Europe approximately in the 80s of the 19th century, however, it was bred only by a rich part of the population, and therefore it only got into the massive, rural pig breeding in the 20th century.
Characteristics of a large white breed of pigsRead also these articles.
- Savoy cabbage - growing and care
- Variety of onions Hercules
- The best varieties of black currant
- Recipes for tomato sauce for the winter
Representatives of the breed are quite large. The weight of an adult male reaches 320-350 kg, and females - 220-250 kg. Pigs have strong bones, the constitution is harmonious, correct. Trunk length in boars can reach 190 cm, in uterus - 168 cm. The chest is deep, the back is wide, the stomach does not sag. The loin is massive, the gammon is moderately expressed, the legs are muscular, low and even - strong hooves.
Representatives of the breed are quite large. The weight of an adult male reaches 320-350 kg, and that of a female 220-250 kg.
The neck is very long, as for a pig, and thick. The head is light, the forehead is wide, the eyes are small, dark. The ears are thin, large, have a slight bias forward, but not lowered. The skin of a large white breed of pigs without folds, dense and elastic. The suit is white, without stains, streaks or any other markings. There is an even and not thick bristle, richly covering the body.
Now there are three main types of breed: meat; meat is greasy and greasy. The second is the most common, since it is universal. Read about meat pigs here.
What is the breed productivity?
Large white breed of pigs is one of the most popular and widespread in the world precisely because of its qualitative indicators.
- For 5-6 months the young growth reaches 100 kg and goes for slaughter. The weight of adults reaches 250-350 kg, depending on the sex of the animal. The yield of pure meat in the meat subspecies - 82%.
- The yield of fat in the greasy subspecies rather high 30-35%.
- The quality of lard and meat is high, they can be used for the preparation of various dishes.
11-12 piglets can be given to a female at a time
- At any time, the female can give 11–12 piglets (rarely 13–15) weighing 1.2–1.3 kg each and feed them themselves. Her milkiness is good, as is the endurance of the young.
Large white breed is used not only for breeding and getting fat, meat, but also for crossing. For a good, purebred boar you can get a considerable amount.
What are the difficulties of care?We recommend reading our other articles.
- The content of guinea fowls at home
- Borsch oil dressing
- The best pink grapes with a description and photo
- How to feed the spring garlic
Caring for large white breed pigs is not very difficult, otherwise they would not be massively bred in Russia, America, Canada, South Korea, Japan, China, New Zealand and throughout Europe, but certain standards will have to be followed.
- The main drawback of the breed is poor tolerance to heat and frost. With this in mind, you need to equip the pigsty, and do walking. The animal will be protected from frost by the heating system in the room, wall insulation, and from the heat by a canopy on the paddock and plenty of cool water.
- The litter is made from hay, sawdust, straw. If possible, it is worth raising a little floor above ground level to protect animals from severe frosts in winter.
- The pigsty is cleaned once a week. You need to clean everything that looks dirty or that is, changing litter. Drinking bowls and troughs for food are washed out every morning. Considering their weight, it is often very difficult to do this, so that they are simply washed during the day and in the evening (you can use water pressure from a hose).
The litter is made from hay, sawdust, straw
- Walking should be as spacious as a pigsty. It is necessary to have a canopy, a trough for food and water, so that during the day the animal can eat outside, and not in the pigsty. In winter, the breed is not walking in order to avoid possible diseases and frostbite.
- Young animals should be vaccinated against the most basic diseases in time to avoid problems in the future, especially if meat and fat are sold.
What to feed a large white breed of pigs?
Feed consumption is not very big. Per 1 kg of weight gain 3.9-4.0 kg of feed
Eating a large white breed of pigs, almost everything in the diet is not picky. The greatest expenses are needed only for fattening meat gilts and feeding a pregnant female (as the young growth and meat quality depend on the norm of nutrients). Feed consumption is not very big. Per 1 kg of weight gain 3.9-4.0 kg of feed.
Cereals, grass meal, tops of garden plants, silage, hay, vitamin supplements, meat and bone meal should be present in the diet. A mixture of all these products can be found in almost any feed - they are used most often for feeding animals. As a "fresh" supplement you can feed the pigs with root crops and greens. During the day, animals should receive food 3 times.
One of the main disadvantages of the breed is the tendency to obesity, which is why the diet needs to be controlled. Whatever feed is used, it is important to regulate the daily rate and not to exceed it. If it is noticed that the animal began to disproportionately grow, gain fat mass, it is worth spending on a more balanced feed, in which more nutrients and less "empty" harmful substances.