Gooseberry Malachite is a variety of Ukrainian production and, accordingly, it is grown in any area of this country. Differs in excellent tastes, simple leaving. The berries are very beautiful, marketable, versatile. More details about the characteristics of the variety and its cultivation can be found below in the article.
Description of gooseberry malachite
The Malachite variety belongs to high-yielding and large-fruited. Ripening occurs at the end of June and until mid-July, depending on the region - the warmer the climate, the faster the berries ripen. Gooseberry Malachite grows from 80 cm to 1.3 m in height. The crown is spherical, rather compact due to the fact that the pagons are straight. Spiky moderate. The leaves are large, gray-green, dull.
Fruits up to 5 cm in diameter, weight - 6-8 g, rounded, green
Fruits up to 5 cm in diameter, weight - 6-8 g, rounded, green. There may be a light tan on the sunny side of the berry. The peel is of medium thickness, almost completely transparent, with pronounced veins. There are many veins, their color is also green, but lighter than the main color of the berry. There is no pubescence, but there is a wax deposit.
The flesh is fleshy, there are many seeds, but they are not very firm. The taste is sweet-sour, when squeezing, the sourness is almost inaudible, but the berry becomes too soft and the skin can crack. The composition of berries 8-13% sugars (depending on the abundance of sunlight), 1% pectin, up to 1.5% acids, vitamins A, B, C, P, magnesium, potassium, calcium, copper, phosphorus, iron and other components .
Interesting! Gooseberry Malachite has a very rich, nutritious composition. The berries are useful and recommended for various diseases, for the prevention of health, as well as used in cosmetology.
What are the advantages of the grade Malachite?Read also these articles.
- Rabbits Poltava silver
- Recipes for crispy salted cucumbers
- How to grow eggplant in the open field
- Variety of pears Skorospelka from Michurinsk
Gooseberry Malachite is in great demand throughout Ukraine. It has great nutritional value, easy to grow. But what other positive qualities of the variety attract gardeners?
- Productivity is high, regular, from a bush collect up to 4 kg of berries.
- Fruiting begins from 1-2 years after planting and lasts for 12-15 years, if you regularly rejuvenate the bush.
- Frost resistance increased. This variety can withstand frost within -29.9 ... -37.2 degrees.
- Good disease resistance, quickly recovering from pest “attacks”.
- Commercial quality and transportability are good.
Productivity is high, regular, from a bush collect up to 4 kg of berries
What are the disadvantages of gooseberry?
The positive qualities of certain cultures are usually covered in detail, but the negative ones are ignored or embellished by manufacturers. For gardeners, this is a problem, because to grow a good culture you need to know about all of its shortcomings, the disadvantages of Malachite gooseberries are the following:
- Does not like the abundance of moisture, but rather its stagnation. That is why a bush needs only drained soil or just a drainage layer.
- Does not tolerate drought. In extreme heat or drought, the bush may begin to turn yellow, slowing its growth.
- Anthracnose suffers with difficulty and can often be amazed.
- Improper pruning and watering lead to a decrease in yield almost 2 times.
- Berries during perespevanii or abundance of moisture cracked.
How to plant?We recommend reading our other articles.
- White Swan Peach
- How to feed gooseberries?
- Apricot Variety Academic
- Duck Mulard Breed
Malachite gooseberry is planted in a sunny place or in partial shade under the crown of trees, near fences or similar, low fences so that the young bush does not roll from the strong wind. The soil should be only moderately moist, well drained. The abundance of water in the upper layers of the earth will lead to rapid decay of the root system or damage to the bush with powdery mildew.
Gooseberry Malachite planted in a sunny place or in partial shade under the canopy of trees
When planting gooseberries in the spring, the earth is fertilized in the fall with manure and superphosphate, and when planted in the fall - for 1-2 months with humus and the same superphosphate with the addition of potassium sulfate. The pit for planting do 50h50h50 cm, these are standard sizes for the average seedling. The root system of this variety is not very large, so the depth is moderate. If not one, but several Malachite gooseberry bushes are planted, they should be placed at a distance of 50 cm from each other.
Half of the pit is filled with fertile soil (compost, garden soil). The sapling is set to a depth of 10 cm, no more, the root neck should be buried by about 5 cm, and then the roots are covered with soil. Already poured a hole trampled, watered. All branches are shortened by 4-5 buds. Land under a bush should be mulched. In the fall - this is protection from cold weather, in the spring - simplification of weeding, irrigation. Under the mulch, the land is almost always wet and nutritious.
Important! They ate the ground, it was diluted with sand and a 10 cm drainage was made of broken brick or rubble in a hole.
How to care for Malachite gooseberry?
Only some varieties of gooseberry require regular and time-consuming care. Malachite variety does not belong to such, therefore it is recommended to all experienced and novice gardeners.
- Watering is needed not frequent, but thorough. 1-2 buckets of water are brought under the adult bush, depending on how often it rains. In a drought, watering should be frequent, and at night the bush can be sprayed on top.
- Loosening the land, cleaning the weeds are necessary to accelerate the growth of the bush, and to reduce the risk of diseases and pests that weeds tolerate.
Trimming is done every year.
- Pruning is carried out every year in spring or autumn, as it is convenient gardener. Old, broken, damaged, diseased, dry and crooked pagons are removed. Extra young twigs can also be cut so that the bush does not spend a lot of energy on them - most of the juices and vitamins are given to berries.
Important! The main fruiting is observed on the biennial and three-year-old gooseberries Malachite pagon. In order not to be mistaken when pruning a bush and not losing the harvest for the next year, you can mark the age of the branches with multi-colored ribbons.
- Feeding is carried out 2-3 times per season. In the spring you need to make complex fertilizers with an abundance of nitrogen in the composition. Before flowering under a bush, you can pour a large glass of wood ash and mix with the soil. In the autumn superphosphate is added. Also, once every 3-4 years, humus or compost should be added under the shrub in the fall, before frost as mulch or under digging.
- In winter, young bushes can be covered with insulating material, but this is not necessary. Gooseberry Malachite is resistant to severe frosts, so there is no need to worry about its safety in the winter, especially in the southern and middle regions. The only important procedure in late autumn is hilling the bush and mulching.
Harvesting and processing
Gooseberry Malachite can be eaten fresh and podavat any type of processing
Harvesting takes place at the end of June - mid-July. In this case, the collection of berries should not be postponed, when they re-sing they become very soft, they can crack.
Gooseberry Malachite can be eaten fresh and poddalit any type of treatment. Juices, jams and jams are made from it. Also the berries of this variety can be frozen. In the form of ice cream, they can lie for several months without spoiling and losing their vitamins. However, for a certain type of use, berries of different types of ripeness are taken. So, winter juices and summer compotes are made from immature. Semi-ripened berries are recommended for jam and freezing, while over-ripe berries are eaten fresh or are made from jams.