Geese are bred for meat, liver, eggs, as well as fluff and feathers. In the content they are not much harder than chickens, therefore, more and more they can be found in large and small private farmsteads. Breeding geese at home for beginners will be described in this article. Also all positive and negative sides of the geese breeding business will be covered.
How to choose a breed?
For breeding geese at home, the breed is selected according to the possibilities and needs. The most famous and productive species give a lot of meat, feathers, fluff, liver, eggs, offspring. However, as a rule, with them more trouble, you need better food, expensive content. So, choosing the breed of geese you need to weigh - how much can you spend on the arrangement of the goose and for each individual separately? A major role in the choice of the form should play and purpose. The breeder must determine in advance what he gets the geese to get?
The easiest breeding geese
- If there are a lot of funds, you should choose a foreign type with high indices: Chinese, Arzamas, Tula, Italian white breed, etc.
- The most simple in terms of breeding breeds include Kholmogory geese, Linda, Large gray and Gorky.
- Meat breeds are, first of all, the White-fronted Goose, Tula, Kuban, Demidov breed, Italian geese.
- Geese recommended for getting fluff and feather: Arzamas, Kuban, Landsky, Romenskaya, Lentochnaya, Hungarian breed.
- Egg breeds of geese: Lindovskaya, Italian white and Rhine.
How to keep geese?Read also these articles.
- Wheat gluten
- Saphira pear-shaped pear variety
- Cherry variety Lyubskaya
- Description pepper varieties Atlant
In terms of content, simple breeds of geese are not demanding. Famous, foreign species is another matter. They may need more space, better food, heated floor in a gooseberry. So when choosing a breed, it is worth specifying in order not to get into a disadvantage. So, what do geese need for normal life?
- Breeding geese at home implies the presence of a normal goose. It is based on the number of individuals: about 1-1.5 individuals per square meter. This is a larger bird than a chicken, so it needs more space.
- Insulation or expensive heating in the room is not necessary. Due to the abundant plumage, these birds almost do not freeze, but here you need to worry about the paws. In order for the paws not to freeze, you need to have a warm floor in the winter house. Either a thick litter is laid on it, or it is heated.
- There should not be drafts, but normal ventilation, artificial lighting and several windows in the room are made so that it can be aired during the warm season.
It is advisable that a small pond be near and geese can swim
- Inside the premises are installed feeders, drinkers according to the number of individuals. It is also necessary to equip the nests by the number of females, so that they have where to nest.
- Walking - highly recommended. Only in large productions it is ignored, but there is a different attitude to the bird, it receives all the vitamins with food, it is closely monitored. In a small farm, walking is required. It is advisable that a small pond be near and geese can swim, if there is none, you can simply build a small stakes in the yard.
- Cleanliness is always respected. In the mud, not only does the mortality of individuals increase, but their condition, productivity, and also the quality of feather and down also deteriorate.
Breeding geese at home does not cause difficulties in terms of feeding. Adults need enough feed from the average price category. To reduce the cost of feeding, you can dilute it with grain, mash of root vegetables, greens. Of course, to obtain a large number of fertilized eggs, it is worth mixing premixes in the feed.
For young animals, you need better quality food, with an abundance of vitamins, in order to reduce mortality in the first month. This is the most dangerous period when nutritional deficiencies can lead to high mortality.
Breeding geese at home for beginners
Geese can be a simple bird for breeding at home or difficult - depending on how you approach this matter. On the one hand, they really do not cause many problems. On the other hand, these birds have their own specific breeding characteristics.
- Breeding geese at home may require patience, since puberty in almost any breed of geese occurs at about 9 months.
- In order to get really big growth of young stock (fertilized eggs), it is necessary that in the poultry house there are 3 females per male.
- Young animals can be obtained by placing eggs under a goose or simply by breeding in an incubator. The second method is more popular because it requires less time for breeding large offspring.
From the 2nd week goslings can walk all day
- For breeding geese at home is to separate a separate room in the house for young animals. It maintains a higher temperature, up to +26 degrees, and there should also be a place for feeders, drinkers. For every square meter there are 10 individuals.
- They feed the young in the first week every 3 hours, and then reduce the number of feedings to 2-3 times a day.
- About a week after birth, you can start releasing birds for a short time for a walk. From 2 weeks goslings can walk all day long, just like adults.
As you can see everything is very simple. It is easy to get fertilized eggs from a bird, you just need to feed and maintain it correctly, and this is not difficult. It is easier to breed in the incubator. This simplifies the division of individuals into groups by age. In this case, it will also be much easier to monitor the condition of the young, their appetite, and health.
What usually geese sick?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Cabbage variety Nadezhda
- Variety of watermelon Crimson Sweet
- The best recipes for jam from pears
- Sweet Cherry Variety Astakhova
When breeding geese at home, you need to understand that these birds have their own set of "popular" diseases. They must be regularly inspected, pay attention to any abnormal behavior, in order to be able to isolate the bird in time and cure it, if possible. So, what are the most common diseases of geese?
Disease treatment is usually prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Rickets - vitamin D deficiency
- Gastric peritonitis - intestinal inflammation.
- Paratyphoid infection goslings.
- Poisoning - usually due to spoiled feed.
- Echinostimatosis - the defeat of the body by parasites.
- Cholera is an infectious disease that birds pick up through water, rodents.
- Aspergillosis is an infection in the respiratory tract that develops from mold.
Disease treatment is usually prescribed by a veterinarian. As a rule, these are vitamins, antibiotics, herbal decoctions, which otpaivuyh sick individuals.
Breeding geese as a business
Breeding geese at home as a business can bring great profits if properly approached. Products for sale in this case is very diverse, and if you do not be lazy and get all the necessary documents for the poultry, licenses for sale, you can profitably expand the business and expand it several times in 1-2 years. What are the advantages of such a business immediately apparent?
If you choose the right breed, you can provide a significant increase in young
- Keeping geese is not difficult. Conditions they need are simple, no excesses or peculiarities of simple breeds require. Of course, with overseas species, there will be more problems.
- Geese grow quickly, so a lot of money for their maintenance and feeding is not required. Already in 3-4 months they reach the slaughter mass. Plus, some breeds can eat almost completely pasture in the summer.
- If you choose the right breed, you can provide a significant increase in young. There are very productive breeds. But, of course, much also depends on the pure blood of the species.
- Eggs give geese is not enough. Of course, less than chickens, but they are not eaten in large quantities. There are not many lovers of goose eggs and for the most part all the eggs produced go to the incubator to get young.
- Almost everything goes into implementation. If you work properly, you can sell meat, eggs, young animals, liver, fluff, feather, litter, and even adult thoroughbreds for breeding.
There are only two obvious disadvantages of breeding geese at home as a business.
- Geese are very noisy birds, so that peace and quiet can not be expected.
- Not all breeds differ in maternal instinct, so breeding young stock is better to entrust to the incubator.