Eggplant King of the North F1 is characterized by excellent yield, beautiful fruits, resistance to cold. For this reason, the variety is popular not only in the southern and central regions, but also in the northern ones. Description of the hybrid, especially its cultivation and storage of the crop can be found below in the article.
Description of eggplant variety King of the North F1
Eggplant King of the North F1 is an early hybrid. Can be grown in open and closed ground. Bushes grow up to a meter in height. Garter recommended, if a lot of ovaries. Under the load of fruits, the bush can simply break - no need to risk it. If the fruit is not very much, it is not necessary to tie up the bush, especially since most of the eggplants are usually located at the bottom, and not above the plant.
Eggplants grow up to 30 cm, elongated, not thick, with a shiny, dark purple skin, almost black. There are no spikes, so the harvest is carried out without problems. The flesh is white, the taste is simple, without frills, but without bitterness.
Photo eggplant grade King of the North F1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the variety?Read also these articles.
- Raspberry jam
- Potato variety Zhukovsky
- How to water the seedlings
- How to feed onions?
The advantages of an eggplant hybrid King of the North F1 a lot, so they became common in many countries with a cool climate.
- Early ripening, the fruits ripen in 90-100 days.
- Frost resistance and resistance to climate change.
- Large, beautiful eggplants weighing up to 250 grams.
- Productivity to 15 kg from each square meter.
- Suitable for industrial cultivation.
Now about the shortcomings. What problems does this variety have?
- Eggplant yield King of the North depends on climate and care. If the moisture is not enough, then the fruit will be small. It is noted that in the central and northern regions yields are always greater than in the southern, warm climate.
- Despite the fact that the variety is intended for greenhouses and open ground, it gives the highest yield in open ground. In the greenhouses he does not have enough light, air, and the humidity is too high. Therefore, many gardeners complain of low yields. Wanting to protect the plants, they set up greenhouses, but this variety was created for regions with a changeable climate, cold weather, so you shouldn’t worry - it needs shelters only with considerable cold snaps, frost!
- Taste is not everyone likes. It is not as bright as that of Maria, Almaz or the Leader, simple, without a raisin.
Our readers recommend reading: the best varieties of eggplant for open field, the best varieties of eggplant for greenhouses, how to grow eggplants in the open field.
Features of the cultivation and care of the variety King of the North F1
For an earlier harvest of the eggplant variety, the King of the North is recommended to be grown using the seedling method. Although in the south, seeds can be sown directly in open ground or in a greenhouse - they grow well in warm climates and without prior germination.
- Soil for these eggplants is suitable only loose, fertilized. As a fertilizer used humus, wood ash, and a little compost.
- Sowing seedlings on eggplants King of the North F1 carried out from mid-February to early March.
- For growing seedlings, seeds are sown at a distance of 3-5 cm from each other to a depth of 1.5-2 cm. At a temperature of + 22 ... +26 degrees Celsius, they will germinate in 8-10 days.
- Grow seedlings at a temperature of + 25 ... +30 degrees. It is also recommended to carry out a picking in separate containers, when the seedling will have 2 developed leaves.
- The place for planting seedlings (permanent) should be sunny. In greenhouses, it is recommended to plant it near the walls where there is most light or to install additional lighting. It is important that the eggplants are not in a draft, in which case any wall or barrier is installed.
- When planting at a fixed place, sprouts are placed at a distance of 40 cm from each other, 60 cm of free space are left between rows. Transplantation is possible in greenhouses from mid-May, but it should be planted in open ground in early June, when the return frost will pass.
- Bushes form. In temperate climates, they are formed into 2 stems, and in cold - into one. After the side shoots begin to develop, no more than 5 best branches are left on the plant, and the rest are removed so that they do not pull the juice and useful substances.
- Top dressing is ideally done 6 times per season - every 2-3 weeks. Young plants need nitrogen (15 g of ammonium nitrate per bucket of water), grown bushes - in potash-phosphorus mixtures (20 g of potassium, 40 g of superphosphate per bucket of water). Under each bush is about 1.5 liters of fertilizer.
- Watering is carried out on average once a week, but it all depends on the weather. Eggplant King of the North F1 prefers wet land, but not swampy. Dirt under the bushes indicates that it is worthwhile to wait with watering.
- Mulching is recommended for several reasons. For a start, it allows you to retain moisture in the ground, nourishes the eggplant, but also protects the fruit from rotting. The fact is that because of the considerable length of the fruit, they often fall to the ground and start to rot from one side (where they come into contact with damp earth), and the mulch prevents this.
- 1-2 times per season you need to process eggplants from pests (Colorado potato beetle) and diseases.
Photo of young bushes Eggplant King of the North F1
Harvesting and storage of the cropWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Radish Celeste F1
- When guinea fowls begin to lay eggs
- Chereshnya Revna
- Blackcurrant Treasure
Eggplant crop King of the North F1 ripens in July or early August. Fruiting is stretched, if the weather is warm, for several weeks you can collect fruits. They are harvested when the fruits are fully ripe, usually ripeness is easily determined by the length and rich dark color of the glossy skin.
Fresh eggplants are stored in good condition. In the refrigerator, the King of the North is 1.5-2 weeks. But usually they are either canned or frozen. For freezing, eggplants are simply cut into slices, strips or cubes, then put in a container and put in a freezer. Fresh eggplants of this variety are suitable for salads, grilling, frying, boiling, pickling.
Reviews of Eggplants King of the North F1
Elena Sergeevna: "The eggplant variety King of the North F1 is for me to open! I landed a film in the middle of May, took it off at the beginning of June. Every 2-3 days, 5-10 beautiful eggplants are collected. Beautiful, not thick, for grilling what you need “I live in Krasnoyarsk, but the rains, the slight cooling effects were carried out without problems, the weather did not affect the crop."
Maria Zvanych: “I cultivated this variety in greenhouses, so I didn’t notice any particular resistance to cold. There was little harvest, and there was some kind of fresh taste. The only benefit was yes, there was no bitterness, but I also didn’t notice the taste as such, that I will not buy this variety anymore. "
Andrey Yukhno: “Regarding seed germination, there are no questions, the King of the North F1 is growing very well at first. But either because of the hot climate or for some other unknown reason, I did not see the big fruits. All were small, up to 15 cm, thin. But Diamond, growing nearby, gave a much better birth. "
Galina Goncharuk: “I highly recommend the King of the North F1 variety! I tried once, by chance, the mother-in-law transferred the surplus from what I planted myself. I planted 10 bushes in the northern part of the vegetable garden. There was so much eggplant harvest that I didn’t know what to do with it. They closed the preservation for the winter, made stews, and the roulettes with cheese were very tasty eggplants, without bitterness, convenient for processing. "