Apricot Khabarovsk was bred in 1949. Among all the apricot varieties recommended for the southern regions, the Khabarovsk variety stands out for its unpretentiousness and incredibly tasty fruits. Characteristics of the variety, features of planting, care, harvesting are described below in the article.
How did the apricot Khabarovsk?
In 1949, the breeder Kuzmin G. T. brought a new variety of apricot, which was named Khabarovsk. It is distinguished by abundant fruiting, excellent taste, versatility and unpretentiousness. It was obtained by pollinating the flowers of the Michurinsky variety with the pollen of a Red-cheeked apricot tree.Interesting! After the apricots were delivered by Alexander the Great to Greece, they began to spread throughout all corners of Europe.
Today, the Khabarovsk apricot is familiar to the young regions of Russia and Ukraine. It blooms early, the buds almost never freeze and therefore the fruits of this tree are often used for sale.
Characteristics and description of the apricot variety KhabarovskRead also these articles.
- How to water the strawberries?
- Saphira pear-shaped pear variety
- How to treat histomoniasis turkeys and prevention measures
- Growing radish in a greenhouse
The Khabarovsky variety is partially self-fertile, but if pollinators do not grow nearby, the yield will be low, therefore, to get a bountiful harvest, you need to have at least 2-3 varieties on the plot. In fruiting enters the 4-5 year of development after planting in a permanent place. Crop ripening time is July 28-30. Yields are annual, consistently high. Up to 36 kg apricot is harvested from the tree.
Apricot varieties Khabarovsk is characterized by large growth. The tree grows up to 5 meters in height, if you do not control its growth. The crown is spreading, but rare, so there are usually no special problems with pruning. The skeletal branches are almost straight, thick, the color is dark, a little pouring purple with white, longitudinal stripes. Young branches (1-2 years) are also thick, straight, can reach up to a meter in length.Interesting! The main advantage of the Khabarovsk variety is the resistance of flowers to spring frosts, so its yield is always high.
The leaflets are medium, of typical oval shape with a pointed end. The front side is dark green, matte, and the back - light green. Scape, to which the leaves are attached, have burgundy color and average length. Flowers tree gives large, white.
Fruits and taste
Apricot is fruiting, as a rule, it is observed on young twigs (2-3 years), older branches rarely produce crops. Fruit branches can be long or short - differently, but they are usually located at a right angle. Fruit buds grow 1-3 pieces, rounded with a sharp tip.
Apricots from the Khabarovsk variety are large, weighing 30 g each, but can grow up to 45 g. The shape is round, elongated, slightly pressed from the sides. From above they are pointed, and the lower fossa is deep. The rind of the fruit is uneven, pubescent, does not lag behind the pulp. The color of the fruit is pale green, the blush is either solid orange-red or pinpoint.
The flesh is fleshy, the juice content is average. Color yellow-orange. The taste is sweet with sour, tasting score 4 points. It contains up to 12.3% sugars, 2.1% malic acid, 8% vitamin C and about 16% dry matter. Stone up to 1.2 grams, elongated with furrows, lags behind the pulp normally. The core is edible, sweet.
How to plant apricot Khabarovsk?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Cherry Chocolate
- Description of the variety cabbage Glory
- Drinkers for cattle
- Nipple Drinkers for Rabbits
Planting apricot Khabarovsk need, like any similar fruit trees. The most important is the right place. It should not be a lowland, so that the water does not stagnate. It is desirable to have natural protection in the form of a fence or a house from the wind (so that the young tree does not break during a strong wind or hurricane).
Planting time - spring or autumn, when it is convenient gardener, if the site is in a warm climate zone. But if severe frosts are possible in winter, it is worth postponing the landing in the spring. The pit for wood is prepared at least 2 weeks before planting. This will allow the ground to sit well, so that the seedling is comfortable to place.
Before planting, a "pillow" is made of fertile land and fertilizer (minerals and humus). If the earth is acidic, the acidity is reduced by dolomite flour or lime. When planting a tree, you must first install a garter peg. After this, a hill is made of fertile, fertilized land. A sapling is placed on it, its roots are stretched along the entire circumference of the pit and sprinkled with earth. When the pit is full, the ground is compacted, but not very hard, in order not to damage the roots, and the trunk is tied to a peg.
In order for the Khabarovsk apricot to grow in the coming week without the intervention of a gardener, it is watered abundantly after planting with 1-2 buckets of water.
How to care for apricot?
Apricot fruits on the tree
Care for trees is not as important as, for example, for tomatoes or cucumbers, as it is a large, strong plant that can grow well even in a wild environment. But only with regular care can you maximize the benefits of apricot.
- The abundance or lack of moisture tree is not very scary. It continues to grow well and bear fruit, so the drought or the rainy season is not critical. And yet, during a prolonged drought, when the earth literally dries out and cracks, it is worthwhile to water the tree, loosen the earth in the near-stem circle, and then mulch it to reduce water evaporation.
- Pruning this variety is not difficult. The first 4-5 years spent forming, then sanitary. Since the branches are not very many, it takes a little time and it spends 1-2 times a year.
- Khabarovsk apricot is resistant to moniliozu, klyasterporiozu, but prophylactic treatment 1-2 times a year from disease does not hurt. But the tree does not have resistance to pests. Especially during the fruiting period and before the winter, it is an ideal environment for the life of harmful and beneficial insects. So when you find a moth or any other harmful insects, you need to carry out spraying.
- Fertilizer is applied at least once a year - in the fall in the form of humus or compost in the near-barking circle for digging.
- The Khabarovsk apricot has a relative winter hardiness, so it is usually not warmed for the winter, especially since it is planted in the southern regions. If the tree grows in areas with frosty winters, it should be warmed for the winter (mulch the ground, wrap the trunk with insulating material). If the tree is still small, you can simply build a skeleton for it.
Harvesting apricot Khabarovsk
Apricots ripen usually by the end of July. At this time, they may begin to fall off or just glitter with a bright blush on the branches of the tree. It is advisable to collect them immediately, without delay, so that they do not start to deteriorate.
After harvesting, the fruit should immediately be used for processing or transportation. You can transport them for short or medium distances, as the transportable qualities are not very high, on the way, the fruits can be rumpled, juice and start to rot. If apricot is used for homemade preparations, it should be processed in the first 1-4 days. Khabarovsk apricot is suitable for fresh consumption, cooking sweet dishes, preservation (compotes, juices, mashed potatoes, preserves, jams).
Reviews on apricot variety Khabarovsk
Apricot tree in spring
What are gardeners reviews about apricot Khabarovsk?
- Pavel Kovalev: “My wife and I have been growing Khabarovsk apricot for more than 20 years. Fruiting is always abundant, there is enough for preservation, and food too. But it is very difficult to transport them. Relatives are still tearing up the unripe fruits, because after maturation they crumple too much on the way.”
- Evgeny Zakharov: "Although it is said that the Khabarovsk apricot is planted only in the southern regions, but it has been growing for quite a long time in mine, despite the fact that in winter the temperature often falls below -25 degrees. True, I’m never buying up on insulation. mulch. But the tree has never been frozen out. Like almost everything in the variety, only the fruits quickly deteriorate. "
- Lydia Bulygina: "My interest in this variety is exclusively commercial. I grow it for sale, but I still lose fruit on the market, but they are not enough yet. I’m always sure of this variety, I have never failed - the yield is high, annual."