When breeding laying hens a lot of attention is paid to the diet of birds. The type of eggs, their size, taste, depends on the type of feed, its composition. Compound feed for laying hens can be of different species and differs both in composition, manufacturer, and feeding characteristics. But if the sale did not find the perfect option, you can make feed for chickens with your own hands.
The composition of feed for laying hens
Combined feeds are often used to feed laying hens. They have all the important substances that are needed by these birds. But what is the brand feed made of? The compositions may vary in ingredients and their quantity, but the main components are usually unchanged.
Feed for chickens
- In the feed for chickens commonly used: corn, wheat, sunflower cake, bone or fish meal, salt, chalk, food phosphate.
- For the feed that is fed to the young, is taken: corn, wheat, barley, cake, phosphate, chalk, wheat bran, meat or fish meal, salt.
- Compound feed for adult laying hens includes: maize, barley, wheat, soybean or sunflower cake, fish or bone meal, phosphate, salt, crushed shellfish.
Varieties of feedRead also these articles.
- Bashkir duck
- How to store carrots in the cellar in the winter: 5 best ways
- Why do leaves of Zamioculkas turn yellow
- When to plant tulips in the fall?
On sale there are several varieties of feed for laying hens.
- PC 2 is suitable for chicks age 1-8 weeks. It has a rich mineral and vitamin composition, therefore, contributes to the rapid growth of young.
- Compound feed PC 3 is recommended for birds aged 8-20 weeks. Sold in the form of crushed, loose mass. Food has a positive effect on the development of individuals, the correct operation of the reproductive system.
- PC 4 is used for birds from 5 to 17 weeks old. It is advisable to enter it 2 weeks before the laying period.
- Compound feed PC 1 - feed for laying hens that are 1 year old. It is composed of many vitamins, minerals, highly nourishing.
If chickens are constantly given feed, it is important to provide the bird with access to clean fresh water.
Which feed is better to choose for layers
When choosing feed for laying hens, certain moments are taken into account.
- The composition of feed. It is important to study before buying. Not all manufacturers care for the quality of the product, so it’s best to check what the feed is made of.
- Purpose Depending on the type of feed, it may be intended for chickens, young animals, adult individuals. In addition, this feed is used for different purposes: increasing productivity, immunity, increasing the fertility of eggs, etc.
- Granulated food stimulates the digestive tract and is recommended for birds, which are very active. Crumbly mix is more suitable for chickens and young stock that are kept without walking.
Granulated food stimulates the digestive tract and is recommended for chickens that are active
The advantages and disadvantages of compound feedWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Drinkers for quails
- Plum variety Honey White
- Raspberry summer care
- Peach Variety Golden Anniversary
Modern types of feed have a lot of advantages.
- It is simple to store the combined mixture, it does not require special conditions, as long as the room is dry.
- The use of animal feed saves the breeders time to compile dry and wet mash.
- High-quality feed chickens are happy to eat. It increases their immunity, endurance, quickly saturates.
- When feeding chicken feed increases egg production.
- With regular use of feed, it pays for its cost. The reason is that the food does not spoil, and because the productivity of the birds increases.
Disadvantages of combination blends are also available.
- Cheap types of compound feeds for laying hens do not have much benefit. Chickens are quickly gaining weight on them, but they have little nutritional value.
- Quality feed can not be cheap.
When feeding chickens feed increases egg production
How to make feed for chickens with their own hands
If there is no suitable feed on sale, the price is too high, or there are doubts about its quality, you can make feed for chickens with your own hands. To do this, you can use one of the three recipes presented below.
First recipe feed contains the most simple components. First you need to prepare them all, measure them up and only then mix them up.
- Corn - 45%;
- wheat - 12%;
- barley - 12%;
- peas - 7%;
- sunflower meal - 7%;
- meat or fish meal - 6%;
- grass meal - 2%;
- chalk - 2%;
- salt - 0.3%;
- soda - 0.1%.
Crumbly blend is better suited for chickens and young stock that are kept without walking.
Second recipe contains much more ingredients, but is also more nutritious. This feed will require the following ingredients:
- wheat - 55%;
- barley - 30%;
- sunflower cake - 10%;
- wheat bran - 5%;
- crushed shell - 5%;
- meat and bone meal - 4%;
- vegetable oil - 2%;
- chalk - 2.6%;
- salt - 0.3%;
- premix - 0.1%.
In winter, the rate of feed consumption increases
Third recipe feed for home mixing contains a lot of wheat. It is also nutritious and does not have a negative effect on feathered weight. So, for this mixture you will need:
- wheat - 64.2%;
- sunflower meal - 17.5%;
- chalk - 7.5%;
- meat and bone meal - 4%;
- vegetable oil - 2.5%;
- yeast - 2.5%;
- premix - 1%;
- soda - 0.7%;
- salt - 0.1%.
Varieties of feed
To make homemade feed, first mix the dry ingredients, then add chalk, salt, soda and other additives that are contained in small quantities. Ready, loose food can already be given to the bird, but if you need to make pellets, then first some water is poured into the mixture so that you can make a tight dough, then the mixture is poured into an extruder (granulator) and the resulting granules are dried.
Common mistakes when creating feed
When creating a home-blended mix and feeding them to laying hens, the same mistakes are often made, which reduces egg production, and the health of the birds may suffer.
- If there are already vitamin components in the feed, you do not need to give them separately, adding to the feed or mash. This is done only during a weakened immunity or during the development of diseases in the region in order to support the strength of the birds. But additional premixes are given for no more than 10 days!
- Compound feed is never supplemented with corn or cereals, because they already exist in the complex feed.
To make high-quality granulated feed for laying hens, you will need to have a granulator in the house - a car
- Regular addition of feed greens in large quantities will not bring good. If necessary, the chickens themselves will peck the grass on the run, it is not necessary to give it separately.
Features of the ration of layers
The amount of feed required for hens per day is usually indicated on the package. In fact, these birds eat as much as they need to replenish their strength. For an adult individual, approximately 120 g of feed per day is enough, but these are approximate norms, which differ depending on the characteristics of the birds and the type of mixture.
It should also be borne in mind that if the feed contains many energetically valuable components, then its rate per day decreases, if there are few such components, then the rate rises. The season also plays a significant role in the amount of feed consumption.
- In the summer, the laying hens eat a little bit of feed, because it's warm outside - the body's energy consumption is at a normal level, and there is plenty of tasty pasture on the walk.
- In winter, a lot of energy in birds is spent on body heat, and at that time there is no walking as such; therefore, the consumption rate of compound feed increases.
Do not forget that any changes in the diet of laying hens are carried out gradually. When you enter a new feed, you need to monitor the reaction of the body of chickens to it. If they do not tolerate new food, it is desirable to return them to the previous diet or develop a different diet.